Pages

Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Monthly Meeting

Sonora N+S
Wednesday - March 12th
4 PM
Social Hour to Follow
Bring a Snack
 Election for

Director at Large
Vice President
Treasurer

Nominations remain open. At the meeting prior to the election, nominations may be made from the floor for any of the the open positions. All 3 positions are for 2 year terms.  In the event, that no one is nominated for treasurer, this will be first time in the history of the club that a board position was not filled at an annual election.  The elected board in accordance with the by-laws will appoint a treasurer, until such time another election can be held.
The following Bio's are listed in the order they were received

Nominee for Director at Large


Bio for Ken Schaebethal

Upon graduation from college in 1963 my wife and I married and I entered the Air Force where we spent the next 28 years.  Most of my career I was associated with the intercontinental ballistic missile systems in one aspect or another, starting as a missile crew member, then spending about five years as an instructor and then moving into staff positions at intermediate and major command levels.

After retiring I worked as a seasonal tax preparer for four years and also began to work fairly seriously in stained glass.  For the next ten years I was associated with two different co-op galleries where I sold my work and assisted with the financial operations of both organizations.

My first exposure to pickleball occurred four years ago which was our first year here at Palm Creek, and I've been hooked on it since the first day.  We have about a dozen men and women in our small home town of Custer, SD who also play so I'm able to stay with it over the summer a couple days a week although all the play is indoors.

I am well aware that keeping the pickleball program alive and well at place the size of Palm Creek takes a lot of work by many volunteers.  Between maintenance of the courts, setting up the schedule, monitoring round robins, scheduling and having the tournaments run smoothly all require a lot of effort by a large number of volunteers.  I believe it is the task of the board of directors to make sure that the courts are used to accommodate the maximum amount of players while at the same time making sure that all skill levels have an adequate amount of time to play with others at their skill level.   I can see  that these goals may often conflict with each other and there is no change that you can make to the way the courts are scheduled and operated which will make everybody happy.

I am pleased to have been asked if I would consider becoming a member of the board and if selected, look forward to working with the current board members to help keep the pickleball program one of the premier activities here at Palm Creek

Nominees for Vice President


Bio for Rosemary Nichol   
 I am submitting this resume to show my interest in the VP position with our Pickleball Club:
My pre-Pickleball history included: being a partner in a small business; working in big business and government, health promotion and primary health care; heading small community agencies; volunteering on community, university and sports boards.  For more than 20 years my responsibilities were primarily adult education, health promotion, and volunteer, board and community development.
I discovered Pickleball the first month we came to Palm Creek: January 2010.  Leroy and Barb Schmidt facilitated my addiction with that first lesson.  Since then I have tried to do my share of volunteering:a RR Captain (3 years); training assistant (3 years); this year working with the Court Use Committee; trying to learn to be a good referee (not there yet). 

As 'seniors' we need to care for our physical and mental health. Being active and social are two of the key ingredients for that.  Single or married people, older or younger, more or less physically able, those who have played sports before or not - everyone can benefit from some level of activity and socialization. That is what we offer to our members. And I think we are all healthier for it.

Palm Creek has given us (or more correctly allowed the Pickleball Club to work hard for) 24 courts.  But those courts would be nothing without the organization that supports the volunteer activity that maintains the RRs, tournaments, daily court care, and social activities. That is why I am willing to volunteer for this position.

                         Bio for Donna Christiansen  

Spent 42 years in San Diego, California where I attended high school and college.  I married my high school sweetheart, Vance, 45 years ago.   We have one married daughter and one granddaughter.  We retired in 2001 and moved to Whitefish, Montana.  It was our dream to travel so we bought an RV and found ourselves at Palm Creek RV Resort in 2001.  We have wintered at Palm Creek for the last 13 winters.  So much for traveling.  We love it here.

I worked in the Home Health Care Industry for thirty years.  I was a Branch General Manager for national, regional and hospital based home care companies that provided Medicare Certified Home Health, Home Infusion Therapy Services, Home Medical Equipment and Respiratory Services as well as In-Home-Support Services.
Pickleball is such a huge part of our lives while at Palm Creek and at home in Whitefish.  I feel fortunate that I was here when it all began. It has been amazing to be here as this fledgling Club began and to see such tremendous growth. I appreciate all of the hard work and guidance that the previous Board of Director’s have provided the Club over the years. Our Club is highly respected and envied.
During the last eleven years I have served on the Board as Club Secretary and Treasurer, was the court coordinator for both the resident and annual tournaments for seven or eight years and a round robin and women’s shootout captain. I am always ready to take on any job the Club may ask of me.
I am grateful that I have been asked to run for the Vice President  position and I believe I can contribute experience, fairness and leadership to the Board and the Membership.    

No comments: