Pages

Friday, February 13, 2015

Director at Large Bio's

Bio for Director at Large
Jocelyn Barr 

My husband Gord and I first came to Palm Creek in 2009 and that is when we took our first pickleball lessons. The first couple of years we came with our RV and like many people we decided to purchase a home here. We are Canadians and spend close to 6 months a year in the park.

I took the referee training and found that it was a good fit for me. I have enjoyed being a referee in many of our tournaments. I’ve also been a round robin coordinator and a mentor for the 2.0 RR. This year I joined the training team and provided administrative support for the training program.

Before retirement, I worked for 35 years as an Information Technology professional, spending the last 20 years in various management roles. I spent 26 years with my final employer including 3 years spent working in Human Resources. As a result I have learned how to work with a wide variety of individuals from very diverse backgrounds, who often had conflicting needs and interests.

The member at large position requires the ability to listen to the ideas, needs and concerns of club members and to take those back to the board for consideration and action. I believe my work experiences would be beneficial to me in performing this role.


Our club has flourished because many dedicated volunteers have done a great deal of wonderful work. As the club continues to grow, I believe I can contribute to its continued success.


Bio for Director at Large
Reed Cowen
  
My name is Reed Cowen and I am a Pickleball addict!  I was first diagnosed with this affliction during the winter of 2011-12 shortly after taking my first Pickleball lesson at the courts previously located by the tennis complex.

I truly have a vested interest in the Palm Creek Pickleball Club.  I have been a Captain/Mentor for 2.0 Round Robins the past three winter seasons and I am currently teaching new players on the Monday session. In addition to the on court volunteer participation I have lent a helping hand to various Club projects (assembling the aluminum benches, erecting the shade covers over the mid-way section of the courts, etc.) 

I have successfully been able to pass this aforementioned infliction onto close to 100 people back home in the Okotoks/High River, Alberta communities.  I am a founding member of the Okotoks Pickleball Club and currently President of that organization.

In my working life, I was a commercial banker working for one of Canada’s “big six” banks for 35 years.  I have a Bachelor of Administration degree and hold a Fellowship from the Institute of Canadian Bankers Association.  During my working career I served multiple terms as a Board member/officer on several non-profit associations/clubs.

I am interested in continuing to volunteer for the Palm Creek Pickleball Club and have offered my name to serve on the Board of Directors.


Bio for Director at Large
Jerri Sedio

I’m Jerri Sedio, running for an At Large position on the Palm Creek Pickleball Club board. Most of my working life was spent in the travel industry, I just never liked staying in one place to long. Working in front office management and sales for major hotel companies in Atlanta, Atlantic City, and Cleveland.  I also worked in reservations for Northwest Airlines in Washington DC and retired as Business Development Manager for Holland America Cruise Line based in Cleveland.
Jack and I retired in 2006, sold our home near Cleveland, OH, loaded up our motor home and hit the road to became full time Rvers.  We have never looked back, I guess the travel bug is still with me.      We first arrived at Palm Creek in March of 2007 for a one month stay.  On day two we took a free pickle ball lesson, and were forever hooked.   We have returned to Palm Creek every winter since, now staying 5-6 months. When not at Palm Creek, we travel the USA hiking, biking, kayaking, taking photographs and just playing tourist.

Our pickleball club has certainly come a long way since 2007 when we had just 8 courts!    I have always tried to be active in the club, first volunteering at the annual tournament checking in players, shagging balls when one tennis court served as one pickle ball court and serving at the Saturday night spaghetti dinner.  Also spent 2 years on the tournament cooking crew preparing and serving up lunch for players, guests and volunteers at both tournaments. When we moved to our new courts, I served on the inaugural Court Usage Committee as we transitioned from 12 courts to 24.  I have spent many seasons as a round robin captain and currently captain and mentor the mixed 2.0 on Friday.  I graduated from the Gearhart Referee School some 5 years ago and continue to serve each year as a referee at both of our tournaments. Currently, I’m the coordinator for the first annual tournament volunteer party.  I‘m a 3.5 player and strong supporter of the scheduled round robin play we enjoy at Palm Creek and I want to help it continue to evolve.  I play for fun and the social part of the game, but no matter what someone’s pickleball goals are, this club can help you reach them. I want to be a part of this continued growth representing YOU, the members, by serving on the board.

Bio for Director at Large
Bill Young

                I was born and raised on family farm in Cyress River, Man.  Graduated from high school in 1965.  Attended the University of Manitoba and graduated in 1969 with Diploama in Agriculture.  Returned to farm, bought  my uncle's farm in 1971 ,and  married Wendy Anderson in 1971 .  We still reside on the family farm though the we now rent farm out now .  We have  two children - Sheri and Ryan.
                I played most sports growing up- especially hockey , baseball and golf as well as curling.  We enjoyed lots of downhill skiing trips to the mountains with family and friends while the family was growing up. 
                I have been quite active in our  small community in Canada over the year-, coached hockey and baseball, served  on the local Credit Union Board for 20 years-acting as Chairman for 10 of those years.  I have also served on many committees for special events within the community.
                Wendy and I love to travel and have enjoyed wonderful trips to Australia, New Zealand, Russia, Costa Rica, Mexico, Alaska.    This is our 5th year in Palm Creek where I have become hooked on Pickleball .   I have met  and continue to enjoy meeting many wonderful folks on the courts.  We have an awesome facility and I would be pleased to serve the board as a member at large.

                                                                                                          Respectfully submitted
                                                                                                          Bill Young




Bio for Director at Large

David Wight







No comments: